|Latitude 34 North|
Historic Markers Across Georgia
Stone Creek Baptist Church-1808
Constituted September 3, 1808, this Church was first located two miles from here on a rocky hill overlooking Stone Creek, a tributary of the Ocmulgee. In 1842 the meetings were moved to an Academy at this site and in 1850 the members and community "deeming it expedient and advisable" built a stately and beautiful church with galleries, to accommodate both white and colored. The old church was destroyed by a tornado April 30, 1953, and the present church was occupied in November of the same year, meeting having been held in the Smith High School in the interim. In 1827a committee from the Church helped to organize the First Baptist Church of Macon. In the records for November, 1865 appears the entry "No conference owing to the enemy´s raid near the church" Notable pastors have been; Rev. Henry Hooten; Vincent, Charnick, Washington, Benjamin and George Tharpe: Wm. Horne. P. W. Edge. J. C. Solomon J. F. McCluney S. J. Wheeler and R. F. Floyd.
GHM 143-10 Georgia Historical Commission 1955