Historic Markers Across Georgia



Twiggs County



Marker ID: GHM 143-8
Location: Courthouse in Jeffersonville, GA
County: Twiggs
Coordinates: N 32° 41.245    W 083° 20.741
  32.68741666    -83.34568333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7TBD
Twiggs County Marker
Photo by Ed Jackson



Text:

Twiggs County was created by Act of Dec. 14, 1809 from Wilkinson County. It was named for Gen. John Twiggs (1750-1816), born in Maryland, resident of Burke County, a leader in the Revolution and against the Indians. He signed treaties with the Creeks at Galphinton in 1785 and at Shoulderbone in 1786. Edmund Nunn was commissioned Sheriff, Dec. 14, 1809. James Patton was made Tax Rec. and James Spann, Tax Col., May 5, 1810. Other County Officers, commissioned May 29, 1810, were: Ewin Hart, Clerk Inf. Court; Peter L. Levingston, Surveyor; James Wheeler, Coroner.

GHM 143-8 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



Twiggs Co. Courthouse
Twiggs County
Photo by Ken Moser



 

143-8