Historic Markers Across Georgia



Rev. Vincent A. Tharp Home (1809)



Marker ID: GHM 143-9
Location: US 80 about 1.5 miles south of Dry Branch
County: Twiggs
Coordinates: N 32° 46.869    W 083° 29.851
  32.78115092    -83.49751567
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7T6E
Rev. Vincent A. Tharp Home (1809) Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This historic house, built for Rev. V. A. Tharp by his sons, John and Charnick, with slave labor in 1809, is the oldest known house in Twiggs County, then Wilkinson. The Tharp family, who occupied this house-in-the-wilderness in 1811, helped to supply Baptist leadership in the surrounding area and the Ebenezer Baptist Assn. Baptist notables were guests in this hospitable home -- Revs. Polhill, Franklin, Ross, Rhodes, Baker, McGinty, Mercer and others. In 1832 the property was sold to John Parker for $600. Later owners have been Joe Burkett, P.W. Martin and American Clay Co., and Stone Creek Baptist Church. The hand hewn timbers and logs remain in this pioneer landmark.


GHM 143-9 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958



 

 

143-9