Historic Markers Across Georgia



Upson County



Marker ID: GHM 145-1
Location: Courthouse in Thomaston, GA
County: Upson
Coordinates: N 32° 53.247    W 084° 19.613
  32.88745036    -84.32687992
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7GNY
Upson County Marker  



Text:

This County, created by Acts of the Legislature December 15 and 20, 1824, is named for Stephen Upson, a well known lawyer of Lexington, Ga. Lt. Gen. John B. Gordon, famed Confederate leader called `second to the great Lee` was born in Upson County at the settlement of Black Ankle near the Flint (or Thronateeska) River. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff Martin W. Stamper, Clerk of Superior Court and Treasurer James P. Portis, Tax Receiver Amos McLendon, Tax Collector Joseph Rodgers, Coroner Shadrach Ellis and Surveyor William Silman.

GHM 145-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 
Upson County Courthouse
Upson County


 

145-1