Historic Markers Across Georgia



Auchumpkee Creek Covered Bridge - Missing



Marker ID: GHM 145-4
Location: Allen Rd south of Thomaston (never erected?)
County: Upson
Coordinates: N 32° 45.319    W 084° 13.84
  32.75530915    -84.23066181
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This bridge, 120 ft. long spanning 96 feet, was built in 1892 by the firm of Herring and Alford, using the town lattice construction. Its cost of $1,199 was funded by the Upson County Commission. It is the last remaining covered bridge in Upson County and was restored in 1985 by the Upson Preservation Commission. Dr. J.W. Herring was a noted bridge builder in this region until his death in 1911. Upson`s earliest settlers lived in this area in a small but thriving community known as Hootenville.



 
Notes:

Missing or Removed

 

145-4