Historic Markers Across Georgia



Fort Cumming



Marker ID: GHM 146-1
Location: behind city fence on Indiana St. several blocks west of N. Main St./US 27 Bus north of downtown LaFayette
County: Walker
Coordinates: N 34° 42.912    W 085° 17.289
  34.71520199    -85.2881441
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2385
Fort Cumming Marker  



Text:

Here stood a Cherokee Indian stockade with blockhouse on hill, built by U.S. Government in 1836.

Capt. Samuel Fariss and a company of Georgia volunteers guarded Cherokee Indians here before their removal to the west.

This fort was presumably named for Rev. David b. Cumming, Methodist minister and missionary to the Cherokees.

GHM 146-1 Georgia Historical Commission 1952



 

 

146-1