Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Federal Road



Marker ID: GHM 146-14
Location: US 27 at Spring Street in Rossville
County: Walker
Coordinates: N 34° 58.969    W 085° 17.079
  34.982806    -85.284653
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Status: The marker has been removed.
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The first vehicular and postal route of Georgia to Rossville was the Federal Road across the Cherokee Nation. Beginning on the southeast Indian boundary in the direction of Athens, Georgia, the thoroughfare led this way toward Nashville via Tate, Jasper, Talking Rock and Spring Place.

GHM 146-14 Georgia Historical Commission

Formal permission by the Cherokees to open the road was granted in the 1805 Treaty of Tellico, Tennessee. Prior to that time the trace served as an Indian trading path to Augusta.

The earliest post office in northwest Georgia was established on this route at Rossville, on April 5, 1817, with John Ross as postmaster.



 

 

146-14A