Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Tavern Road



Marker ID: GHM 146-4
Location: on Old US 27 just west of the post office at the junction of US 27 and Ga 95 near Chickamauga
County: Walker
Coordinates: N 34° 49.24    W 085° 14.507
  34.82066657    -85.24179125
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM25ZM
Old Tavern Road Marker  



Text:

May 7, 1864. McPherson´s Army of the Tennessee (15th & 16th A.C.), having marched by Lee & Gordon´s Mill turned S.E. at this point & via Rock Springs Ch. on the old Tavern Rd. (State Highway 95), marched to its intersection with State Highway 151, & camped there that night. McPherson´s objective was to outflank Johnston´s forces at Dalton by seizing Snake Cr. Gap.

As originally planned, this flanking march was to have been made from Guntersville, Ala., via Rome & Kingston, but failing to secure additional forces, Sherman decided on a more restricted approach to Johnston´s rear, via Villanow & Snake Creek Gap.

GHM146-4 Georgia Historical Commission 1953



 

 

146-4