Historic Markers Across Georgia



Villanow



Marker ID: GHM 146-9
Location: in Villanow at junction of Ga. 136 and Ga 201
County: Walker
Coordinates: N 34° 40.435    W 085° 6.886
  34.67392268    -85.11476494
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7BV
Villanow Marker  



Text:

Ante-bellum cross-roads settlement; name taken from Jane Porter´s novel: ´Thaddeus of Warsaw.´ May 7, 1864, Kilpatrick´s Cav., having crossed Taylor´s Ridge at Nickajack Gap, moved to Gordon´s Springs where it was joined by Ireland´s brigade (Geary´s Div., 20th A.C.). May 8, these troops moved to Villanow to meet & support McPherson´s forces moving E. from Ship´s & Gordon Springs Gaps in Taylor´s Ridge.

McPherson´s troops reached Villanow at noon & continued E. to Snake Creek Gap - a surprise move to outflank Johnston´s forces at Dalton. The seizure of Snake Cr. Gap was effected while Geary´s Div. (20th A.C.) attacked Dug Gap.

GHM 146-3 Georgia Historical Commission 1953



 

Villanow


 

146-9