Historic Markers Across Georgia



Chattooga Academy



Marker ID: DAR 
Location: in park several blocks north of downtown on N. Main St. in LaFayette
County: Walker
Coordinates: N 34° 42.525    W 085° 16.863
  34.70875    -85.28105
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM7H3A
Chattooga Academy  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

LaFayette Academy Erected in 1836
This tablet placed by
William Marsh Chapeter D.A.R.
and
Chickamauga Chapter U.D.C.
This building now known as
John B. Gordon Hall

Centennial Memorial 1936



Lafayette Academy
Chattooga Academy
Photo by Ken Moser


Notes:

Source: A Walker Tour of LaFayette, GA

"CHATTOOGA ACADEMY - (John B. Gordon Hall)
Chattooga Academy is believed to be Georgia’s oldest remaining brick schoolhouse.

The building was dedicated in 1936 to John B. Gordon, a former academy student who went on to serve as a Confederate general, Georgia governor, and U.S. Senator. Completed in 1836 on land donated by Spencer Stewart Marsh, Chattooga Academy derived its name from the name of the area’s original settlement and was later called LaFayette Academy. The building served as Confederate Gen. Braxton Bragg’s headquarters from September 10-17, 1863, as he prepared for the Battle of Chickamauga. During the Battle of LaFayette on June 24, 1864, Confederate Capt. William V. Harrell attacked Union troops using the building to store supplies. In the 1920s, the building was renovated and became a meeting place for the LaFayette Woman’s Club. The building later housed the LaFayette Area Chamber of Commerce. In the 1990s, the City of LaFayette used the building as an office and community meeting facility; in 2005, the city began working towards the rehabilitation and restoration of the structure. The building and location are used today to teach military leadership and tactics to officers from Fort Campbell, Kentucky, and the Command and Staff College at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. The academy is listed on the National Register of Historic Places."

 

146-A1