Historic Markers Across Georgia



Marsh-Warthen House c. 1836



Marker ID:  
Location: On North Main Street (Business U.S. 27) at North Cherokee Street, La Fayette, GA
County: Walker
Coordinates: N 34° 42.55    W 085° 16.867
  34.70916666    -85.28111666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMAHK1
Marsh-Warthen House c. 1836 Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

The Marsh-Warthen House, circa 1836, was built by Spencer Stewart Marsh, a prominent and influential merchant and statesman who donated land for John B. Gordon Hall. Marsh, with two other businessmen, founded Trion Factory, a major cotton mill. In 1863 the Marshes sought refuge in Cassville and returned after the war to find blood stained floors and hoof marks from`Federal Cavalry horses in the hallway. After remaining in the Marsh family for only 150 years, the house was owned by the Clements, descendants of a Walker County pioneer family. This property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior.




Marsh-Warthen House c. 1836
Photo by David Seibert



 

146-A5