Historic Markers Across Georgia



Ware Courthouse



Marker ID: GHM 148-2
Location: US 23/319 near Courthouse in Waycross, GA
County: Ware
Coordinates: N 31° 12.894    W 082° 21.276
  31.2149    -82.3546
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM9RVJ
Ware Courthouse Marker  



Text:

Ware County was created out of abortion of Appling County by an Act of Dec. 25, 1824. It was named for United States Senator Nicholas Ware. Early in 1825 an Inferior Court was created, made up of Justices William Smith, Solomon Hall, John L. Stewart Jr., Philemon Bryan, Absalom Thomas. The first county officers elected in 1826 were William G. Henderson, sheriff; Joseph Bryan, Superior Court Clerk; Zachariah Davis, surveyor and Joshua Sharpe, coroner. Philemon Bryan was the first State Senator and John L. Stewart first representative.

GHM 148-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1953



 

 

148-2