Historic Markers Across Georgia



1873 Methodism Comes To Waycross



Marker ID: UMC 12
Location: On Gilmore Street at the First United Methodist, 410 Williams St, Waycross, GA
County: Ware
Coordinates: N 31° 12.55    W 082° 21.374
  31.20916666    -82.35623333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM9TXM
1873 Methodism Comes To Waycross Marker  



Text:

This church, known as the Junction on the Blackshear Ct., began with three women members. Its first building was erected in 1874. A full-time pastor came in 1884. By 1892 the 500 members began a new brick building at this site of many "tent revivals". On October 15, 1893 the first service was led by Rev. W. H. Thomas retired "circuit rider" and "spiritual father of Waycross". The 1972 Sanctuary and Arthur Moore Chapel were dedicated in 1975. In the chapel is the 1893 altar at which Bishop Arthur J. Moore was converted and licensed to preach in 1909. More than 27 men and women have been licensed to preach by this church.

1987 - No. 12 South Georgia Conference Commission on Archives and History



 
First United Methodist
1873 Methodism Comes To Waycross


 

148-A2