Historic Markers Across Georgia



Warren County



Marker ID: GHM 149-1
Location: Courthouse at 100 Main Street, Warrenton, GA
County: Warren
Coordinates: N 33° 24.413    W 082° 39.721
  33.40688    -82.66201
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6HFX
Warren County Marker  



Text:

Warren County


This County, created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 19, 1793, is named for Gen. Joseph Warren, Massachusetts Revolutionary hero killed at the Battle of Bunker Hill. What is claimed to have been the first iron works and woolen mill in Georgia was established near Georgetown. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriffs Peter Hodo & David Neal, Ordinary Septimus Weatherby, Clerks of Superior Court Wyche Goodwin & Isiah Tucker, Clerk of Inferior Court Turner Persons, Surveyor Ehelred Thomas and Coroner John Trant.

GHM 149-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 

Warren County


 

149-1