Historic Markers Across Georgia



Beall Springs



Marker ID: GHM 149-5
Location: In Beall Springs park off Ga 16 south of Warrenton, GA
County: Warren
Coordinates: N 33° 18.476    W 082° 43
  33.30794    -82.71667
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6HFB
Beall Springs Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Beall Springs has faithfully produced chalybeate (ka-Iib-e-at) water for centuries. Chalybeate water is characterized as water containing iron salts. In addition to iron, Beall Spring water contains nine other minerals.

First frequented by Indians who used the water for curative purposes the springs were ceded to the state in 1773. After cession the land was acquired by the Beall family who allowed public access. The springs have been in continuous public use ever since.

In the nineteenth century Beall, Madison, Indian, Porter, Rousseau and Catoosa Springs as well as many others became popular resort areas. These "watering places" became great social centers and vacation spots as well as escape areas from the fever ridden lowlands.

Beall Springs was the host to Confederate Vice-President Alexander Stephens and Senator Robert Toombs as well as other notables when watering places were in vogue.

GHM 148-5 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1972



 

 

149-5