Historic Markers Across Georgia



Historic Highways



Marker ID: GHM 150-10
Location: Ga 242 at mile marker 19, 6 miles SE of Riddleville
County: Washington
Coordinates: N 32° 52.365    W 082° 34.513
  32.87275    -82.57521
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6DT5
Historic Highways Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This highway is the Old Savannah Road, one of the earliest vehicular routes west of the Ogeechee. It led from Savannah to the Rock Landing on the Oconee, below Milledgeville, along the course of a former trading path to the Creek Indians. The lower part of this way was opened about 1777. At about this point, the Savannah Road was intersected by the Sunbury Road, which was laid out in the early 1790`s between Greensboro and Sunbury, a port on the Midway River in Liberty County. The present boundary between Jefferson and Johnson Counties follows its former course. From northern Emanuel County southward, much of the Sunbury Road remains in use.

GHM 150-19 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

150-10