Historic Markers Across Georgia



Hebron



Marker ID: GHM 150-13
Location: Ga 24 at Hebron, 3 miles east of Baldwin County line
County: Washington
Coordinates: N 32° 58.051    W 083° 0.127
  32.96752    -83.00212
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6EVR
Hebron Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

On Nov. 24, 1864, the Left Wing (14th and the 20th Corps) of Gen. Sherman`s army [USA] left Milledgeville enroute to Sandersville, the 14th Corps via Black Spring, the 20th Corps camped at Hebron, the main body of bluff, Gumm and Town creeks.

Next day the march was delayed near Hebron until mid-afternoon, the nine bridges over Buffalo Creek and tributaries having been burned by Wheeler`s cavalry [CSA]. After rebuilding the bridges and driving back the Confederate cavalry, the advance of the 20th Corps camped near Sandersville, which it entered the next forenoon.

GHM 150-13 Georgia Historical Commission 1957



 

 

150-13