Historic Markers Across Georgia



The March to the Sea



Marker ID: GHM 150-15
Location: Ga 24 near the east edge of Sandersville, GA
County: Washington
Coordinates: N 32° 59.235    W 082° 46.918
  32.98725    -82.78196
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6EHH
The March to the Sea Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

On Nov. 24, 1864, the Left Wing of Gen. Sherman´s army [USA], which had left Atlanta on Nov. 15th on its destructive March to the Sea, crossed the Oconee River at Milledgeville enroute to Sandersville. On the 26th, after delays caused by destruction of bridges over Buffalo Creek by Wheelers cavalry [CS], the Left Wing (14th and 20th Corps -- Maj. Gen. H. W. Slocum, USA) reached Sandersville, the 14th Corps (Davis) having marched via Black Spring and the 20th Corps (Williams) via Hebron. Near Keg and Buffalo Creeks their advance had been hotly contested, but the infantry columns forced back the small cavalry units and entered Sandersville before noon. The invaders having been fired upon from the windows and portico of the court house, Gen. Sherman ordered the structure destroyed.



 

 

150-15