Historic Markers Across Georgia



Sherman's Left Wing



Marker ID: GHM 150-16
Location: Ga 24 at Davisboro, GA
County: Washington
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

On Nov. 27, 1864, the Left Wing (14th and 20th Corps) of Gen. Sherman´s army [Federal] moved from Sandersville toward Louisville. Ward´s division, 20th Corps, and Carlin´s division, 14th Corps, with the artillery and trains of both corps, moved to Davisboro and encamped. Morgan´s and Baird´s divisions, 14th Corps, crossed Ogeechee River at Fenn´s Bridge (4 mi. N) and turned toward Louisville. Jackson´s and Geary´s divisions, 20th Corps, destroyed the Central Railroad from Tennille to Davisboro and halted here for the night. That night, Hq. Left Wing (Slocum), Hq. 14th Corps (Davis) and Hq. 20th Corps (Williams) were established in Davisboro.

GHM 150-16 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION