Historic Markers Across Georgia



Irwin's Crossroads



Marker ID: GHM 150-18B
Location: Ga 68 at Irwin's
County: Washington
Coordinates: N 32° 51.433    W 082° 50.984
  32.85721    -82.84974
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6DKK
Irwin's Crossroads Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

On Nov. 26, 1864, the Right Wing (15th and 17th Corps) of Gen. Sherman`s army [USA], which had left Atlanta on Nov. 15th on its destructive March to the sea, crossed the Oconee River at Ball`s Ferry (8 miles SW), on pontoon bridges, after two days of delay spent in dislodging the determined Confederate defenders.

The 1st Alabama Cavalry [USA] moved to Oconee (No. 14, CRR. 6 miles W) to burn the railway bridge over the river, which the invaders had found too well defended to capture by direct assault. Woods` and Corse`s division, 15th Corps, moved to Irwin`s Crossroads Hq Right Wing (Maj. O. O. Howard, USA) and Hq 15th Corps (Maj. Gen. P. J. Osterhaus, USA) were established here Maj. Gen. F. P. Blair, USA encamped his 17th corps at the folks of the Oconee- Irwin`s roads (5 miles SW).

Next morning Leggett`s division, 17th Corp, moved to Oconee. Beginning there, it destroyed the railroad to a point opposite Irwin`s Cross-Roads` Rice`s and Hurlbut`s bridges of Corse`s division and Williamson`s bridges of Woods` decision completed the destruction to Tennille (No. 13, CRR). During the day, the 17th Corps moved to Irwin`s Crossroads, followed by Hazels and Smith`s division, 15th Corps, and the pontoon bridges trains.

On Nov. 28th, the Right Wing moved toward Savannah on roads south of the railroad, halting that night with its left near Riddleville and its right at Wrightville.

GHM 150-18A Georgia Historical Commission 1957



 

 

150-18B