Historic Markers Across Georgia



Tennille



Marker ID: GHM 150-2
Location: In parking lot at Tennille square
County: Washington
Coordinates: N 32° 56.165    W 082° 48.729
  32.93609    -82.81215
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6EQ7
Tennille Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Tennille, the highest point, on the Central of Georgia Railroad, between Macon and Savannah, named for a public spirited citizen, Mr. Francis Tennille, was called for a number of years, Station No. 13. The land for the Right of Way, which made the town possible was given by Mr. Sam O. Franklin. The railroad was practically destroyed by Sherman´s forces: by his orders the railroad rails were heated and twisted so that they were useless and all warehouses burned. Eight miles South of Tennille was Fort Irwin, the stockade of fort erected by Governor Jared Irwin and three brothers for the protection of the settlers from Indian attacks.

GHM 160-12 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 

 

150-2