Historic Markers Across Georgia



Riddleville



Marker ID: GHM 150-3
Location: At Riddleville on Ga 242
County: Washington
Coordinates: N 32° 54.433    W 082° 40.011
  32.90721    -82.66685
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6DT1
Riddleville Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

In this locality was one of the four academic of Washington County authorized by the State of Georgia and known as the Riddleville Academy. Mr. Anderson Riddle, a prominent citizen of the community and an ardent advocate of education, learning of the probability of the Washington Baptist Association establishing a denomination school of high standing, offered to give 300 acres of land and Mr. James A. Page offered 20, toward the founding of such an institute in their community. At this point the trustees of the Riddleville Academy offered to convey all property and buildings to the newly organized Mount Vernon Baptist Association for the same purpose. Thus, Association and the mount Vernon Institute were organized. The school continued under the supervision of the Mount Vernon Baptist Association until 1891.

The town was Incorporated and named Riddleville, in honor of Mr. Anderson Riddle, by an act of the Georgia Legislature in 1859.

GHM 150-3 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 

 

150-3