Historic Markers Across Georgia



Masonic Temple



Marker ID: GHM 150-5
Location: West Haynes St opposite Courthouse Square, Sandersville, GA
County: Washington
Coordinates: N 32° 58.981    W 082° 48.723
  32.98302    -82.81205
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6DBY
Masonic Temple Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

A beautiful reproduction of the Greek Temple Athene, erected in 1855-56 for the Masons, of brick, hand-made by slaves, stood on this corner. An appeal by Mr. James D. Anthony and Dr. James R. Smith ~ Methodist Ministers ~ and Mr. Pincus Happ, Members of Haynes Chapter of Royal Arch Masons, saved the building from destruction by Sherman´s Army in 1864, when all over other public buildings in the town were burned. This was one of several Masonic Temples in Georgia spared by Union officers who were Masons.

This historic building was destroyed by fire in 1921.

GHM 150-5 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

150-5