Historic Markers Across Georgia



Saunders Store



Marker ID: GHM 
Location: Beside the Police "Box", Courthouse Square, Sandersville, GA
County: Washington
Coordinates: N 32° 58.983    W 082° 48.660
  32.983050    -82.811000
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6DRK
Saunders Store Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

The present site of the Sandersville Drug Company was the location of Mr. M. Saunder´s store at the crossing of roads. On Dec. 19, 1793, the Legislature of Georgia authorized that a central place for a county site be chosen for Washington County. In 1796, Mr. Saunders donated a part of his plantation for this purpose and in his honor the town was called Saundersville, later contracted to Sandersville.

On November 27, 1812, the town was incorporated by an Act of the Georgia Legislature. Here also was a relay station on the stagecoach road from Louisville to the new Capitol in Milledgeville.



 
Notes:

Replaces marker 150-7, now un-numbered.

 

150-7