Historic Markers Across Georgia



Jefferson Davis



Marker ID: GHM 150-8
Location: Ga 57 at Ga 68 (Ball's Ferry) east of Oconee River
County: Washington
Coordinates: N 32° 46.743    W 082° 55.606
  32.77905    -82.92676
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6EVD
Jefferson Davis Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

On May 4, 1865, Jefferson Davis arrived in Washington, Georgia (85 miles N), where he performed what proved to be his last duties as President of the Confederate States of America. Shortly thereafter, with a small staff and escort, he departed en route to the trans-Mississippi Department, from which vantage point he hoped to negotiate a just peace. His party reached Sandersville (17 Miles NE) about noon on May 6th, where the last official business of the Confederate States Treasury was transacted.

That evening, they camped near Ball´s Ferry (2 miles NW); but upon learning of a threat to his family, which was on a converging route some hours ahead, Mr. Davis decided to press on. After an all night ride over unfamiliar roads, he found them near the home of Mr. E. J. Blackshear, 10 miles north of Dublin, on the road leading south from this point.

After a hard journey via Dublin and Abbeville, they camped a mile N of Irwinville (93 miles SW) in the present Jefferson Davis Memorial State Park. At dawn on May 10th, his camp was surrounded by men of the 1st Wisconsin and 4th Michigan cavalry regiments [Federal] and he became a "state prisoner", his hopes for a new nation, in which each state would exercise without interference its cherished "Constitutional rights", forever dead.


GHM 150-6 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957



 

 

150-8