Historic Markers Across Georgia



Colby Smith [Side 1]



Marker ID: GHM [no number]
Location: 7 miles south of Tennille on Ga. 15 at intersection of Ga. 15 and Montgomery Rd.
County: Washington
Coordinates: N 32° 50.44    W 082° 46.529
  32.84067    -82.77549
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6H24
Colby Smith [Side 1] Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Colby Smith, a Revolutionary War soldier who was prominent in America´s War of Independence settled in the 89th District in 1798 and was granted property by the Governor of Georgia in Honor of his service to America. He, his children, and his grandchildren owned property reaching from Harrison to Irwins Crossroads and were among the founers and leaders of the early churches of this area, throughout Georgia and other adjoining states. He died in 1840 at the age of 85. The marker on his grave was erected July 1920 by the General Samuel Elbert Chapter of the D.A.R. He was the son of Thomas Smith and Anita Colby. He and his wife Anna Henry had 9 children, 73 grandchldren and over 200 great-grandchildren. 37 of his great grandson´s [sic] served in the Confederate Armies of Georgia. He served as constable in Chatham County, North Carolina in 1790 prior to settling in Washington County, Georgia with other sturdy yeoman families of BRANTLEY, PEACOCK, WOOD, YOUNG, AND IRWIN. He is the forbearer of thousands of American´s [sic], many of whom were prominent in the fields of Government, Medicine, and the Ministry.

(Continued on other side)



 

 

150-A1