Historic Markers Across Georgia



1805 Deepstep United Methodist Church,



Marker ID: UMC 
Location: Deeptstep Road 1/2 mile west of Deepstep Town Hall
County: Washington
Coordinates: N 33° 1.086    W 082° 58.67
  33.0181    -82.97783
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6H17
1805 Deepstep United Methodist Church, Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Traces its beginning to the Methodist Society held at home of pioneer William Hicklin around 1805, and the 1825 Hicklin Meeting House Roll with 32 members recorded by Rev. Tillman Snead, early Methodist Pastor. First deed found in 1831 settlement of Ruben N. Hicklin estate: "1 acres reserved for Meetinghouse`. After the Civil War the frame building replaced the peeled log original. In 1901 the present sanctuary was built. The cemetery is site of an area-wide camp meeting begun by Rev. J. D. Anthony in 1878 and attended yearly by the thousands until 1900. Five members have entered Methodist ministry: Loy G. Veal, Griffin Thompson, Willis H. Moore, E.G. Hutchings. Jr. Larry A. Giles.

No. 20 South Georgia Conference
The united Methodist Church 2000



 

 

150-A3