Historic Markers Across Georgia



Giles Cross Roads



Marker ID: Giles Family Assn. 
Location: on Deepstep Road at intersection with Indian Trail Road
County: Washington
Coordinates: N 33° 1.885    W 083° 0.556
  33.03141    -83.00926
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6H16
Giles Cross Roads Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

In 1805, this site was settled by the family of Alexander Giles (1793-1873) who moved from Warren County to Washington County after the Creek Indian Cessation [Cession]. The farm`s borders were Bluff Creek and Indian Trail Road, a high ridge trail used for the Creek`s seasonal migration. Believed to be an Indian trading post, the 99th GMD courthouse was located here.

Alexander deeded the land to Capt. John Irvin Giles, CSA, his only son to survive the War Between the States. On Nov. 25, 1864,
Sherman`s men camped here and destroyed all of the farm except the house. The pioneer family rebuilt and their descendants have
owned the land on these four corners of Giles Cross Roads for 200 years.

ERECTED BY GILES FAMILY ORGANIZATION 1996



 

 

150-A4