Historic Markers Across Georgia



Doctortown



Marker ID: GHM 151-2
Location: Doctortown Road at RXR at Altamaha River, E of US 301/82
County: Wayne
Coordinates: N 31° 40.706    W 081° 48.968
  31.67842668    -81.8161402
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Doctortown Marker
Photo by Craig Swain



Text:

Two miles N.E. of here on the Altamaha river was the site of Doctortown. The name may have been derived from a Muskogean Indian word, `Alekcha`, purported to mean doctor. A Creek Indian, `Alleck` is believed to have lived there during the late 1700`s.

Doctortown was the major crossing point of the Altamaha River from the days when the Alachua Indian Path crossed there until WWII, when the Georgia Defense Forces and a Coast Guard Unit guarded the bridges against the threat of German sabotage. It was for many years the only road and railcrossing in this area of the coastal plain, thus making it a vital shipping and travel point. As a steamboat landing, Doctortown provided river access to important overland routes.

Doctortown was an important target for Gen. Sherman`s troops on the March to the Sea and was the site of an unsuccessful assault in December, 1864.

After the Civil War, Doctortown became an industrial center for the South Georgia timber and paper industry as the site of large sawmills, and the world`s largest pulp mill (1992).

GHM 151-2 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1992



Doctortown Marker in 2008 with Rayonier Mill in distance
Doctortown
Photo by David Seibert


Notes:

As of January, 2008 (and for some time prior) the Doctortown marker is on the private property of the Rayonier Corporation, behind a locked gate. It is possible to gain access to the marker by contacting the Security Department at the Rayonier Mill (number is on the gate).

The stated reason for the lack of public access is to keep the public from an unguarded railroad crossing just beyond the marker.
— Submitted April 15, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.

 

151-2