Historic Markers Across Georgia



Webster County



Marker ID: GHM 152-2
Location: On Hamilton Street at the Courthouse in Preston, GA
County: Webster
Coordinates: N 32° 3.967    W 084° 32.221
  32.06611027    -84.53701609
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNMA
Webster County Marker
Photo by Sneakin Deacon



Text:

This County, created by Act of the Legislature December 16, 1853, was originally named Kinchafoonee. It was organized in 1834 at which time Preston was chartered. An Act of February 21, 1856, changed the name to Webster in honor of Daniel Webster, New England orator and statesman. Among the first Kinchafoonee County Officers in 1854 were: Sheriff Carey T. Cox, Clerk of Superior Court James G. Hall, Clerk of Inferior Court John D. King, Ordinary E.B. Swiney, Tax Receiver William McLendon, Tax Collector Lucius Sanders, Sur-veyor Jno. McCain and Coroner James R. Moore. The first Webster County Officers included: Sheriff John P. Beaty, Clerk of Superior Court James G.M. Ball, Clerk of Inferior Court Wm. R. Redding, Ordinary David G. Rogers, Tax Receiver Eben E. Little, Tax Collector Alexander Winzor, Surveyor John McCain, Coroner John D. Jones and Commissioners George M. Hay, John W. Easters, William H. Hallen, Henry W. Spears and James G.M. Ball.

GHM 152-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955



 

 

152-2