Historic Markers Across Georgia



Lannahassee



Marker ID: GHM 152-4
Location: On Hamilton Street at the Courthouse in Preston, GA
County: Webster
Coordinates: N 32° 3.967    W 084° 32.248
  32.06611037    -84.5374627
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMA7AE
Lannahassee Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Lannahassee, near the Indian village by that name on Lannahassee Creek, was the first white settlement (1836) after the Creek Indians left the area to migrate westward. About 1851 the town moved a mile or two away and became McIntosh. When the County of Kinchafoonee, later Webster, was created in 1853, the name of the settlement was changed to Preston and it became the county seat. The Creek Indians lived in this section from about 1700 until their migration after the treaty at Indian Springs.

GHM 152-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955



 

 

152-4