Historic Markers Across Georgia



Archery, Georgia



Marker ID:  
Location: at Archery on Bishop Johnson Cir (CR61) and Old Plains Hwy
County: Webster
Coordinates: N 32° 1.742    W 084° 26.504
  32.02903173    -84.441738
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMA7AK
Archery, Georgia Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This rural community of Archery, established in the 1800´s, consisted of a train stop, houses of railroad employees, the St. Mark African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church, a school for black youth, and a store. The community was named for Sublime Order of Archery, a relief organization of the A.M.E. Church which assisted the southern black families. Two permanent white families, the Watsons and the Carters, lived here. Edward Herman Watson was the Seaboard Railroad section foreman and James Early Carter, Sr., was the father of Jimmy Carter, 39th president of the United States who spent his youth here. The other 25 families were African-American.

William Decker Johnson, bishop of the A.M.E. Church, became the most prominent person in Archery. He came here with the purpose of establishing a school for black youth lacking the resources for an education. The Johnson Home Industrial College opened its doors in 1912 and offered technical classes aiding students to obtain jobs. This school offered male and female students primary, high school, collegiate, and vocational classes. Bishop Johnson´s efforts for the cause of education had many faithful supporters who helped the school to flourish. Bishop Johnson is buried in the St. Mark A.M.E. Church cemetery.



Archery, Georgia
Archery, Georgia
Photo by Ken Moser



 

152-A1