Historic Markers Across Georgia



1807 Methodism at Spring Hill



Marker ID: UMC 16
Location: intersection of County Route 197 and Spring Hill Loop, Alamo, GA
County: Wheeler
Coordinates: N 32° 0.75    W 082° 43.567
  32.0125    -82.72611666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMA5KB
1807 Methodism at Spring Hill Marker
Photo by David Seiber



Text:

1807 Methodism at Spring Hill


Spring Hill, settled in 1807, was a preaching place on the Ohoopee Circuit by 1814. In 1850 John Carmichael gave land for a campground. A tabernacle replaced the brush arbors about the church. Campmeetings continued seven decades. Clements Institute evolved from pre-Civil War schools and in 1871 became the first Methodist District High School. C. C. Hines and W. A. Huckabee led in founding South Georgia College at McRae in 1891. From 1879, J. D. Anthony, "Bishop of the Wiregrass", made this his home. Here, Bascom Anthony entered the ministry. In 1991, the church worships in its 1879 frame building with a fellowship hall in the school.


No. 16 South Georgia Conference United Methodist Church 1991



Spring Hill United Methodist Church
1807 Methodism at Spring Hill
Photo by David Seiber



 

153-A01