Historic Markers Across Georgia



Nacoochee Indian Mound



Marker ID: GHM 154-2
Location: Ga. 17 just east of Ga. 75 near Helen, Ga.
County: White
Coordinates: N 34° 41.066    W 083° 42.521
  34.684439    -83.708679
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM32A
Nacoochee Indian Mound Marker  



Text:

Nacoochee Indian Mound was the center of the ancient Cherokee town of Gauxule, visited by DeSoto in 1540 in his search for gold, according to legend. On this ceremonial mound, 190 feet long, 150 feet wide and 20 feet high, stood the town House where a sacred fire burned unceasingly. Ceremonial dances were performed in and around the Town House. Residents of the town lived on the flat land surrounding the mound. The findings of Heye Foundation archaeologists who explored the mound in 1915 indicate the advanced cultural development of the builders.

GHM 154-2 Georgia Historical Commission 1955



 

 

154-2