Historic Markers Across Georgia



White County



Marker ID: GHM 154-3
Location: At the old court house in Cleveland GA, on US 129 and the intersection with GA 115.
County: White
Coordinates: N 34° 35.814    W 083° 45.8
  34.5969    -83.763338
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM326
White County Marker  



Text:

White County, created by Act of Dec. 22, 1857, was cut off from Habersham and Lumpkin Counties. Wm. H. Shelton, Repr. from Habersham at the session tried twice to have the county formed but failed. Repr. David T. White of Newton Co. backed the bill and it passed. In gratitude, Repr. Shelton had the county named for Repr. White. First county officers were: Isaac Bowen, Sheriff; Wm. L. Sumpter, Clk. Sup. Ct.; Wm. R. Kimsey, Clk. Inf. Ct.; Willis A. England, Cor.; Wm. Burke, Tax Rec.; Champion Ferguson, Tax Col.; Vincent F. Sears, Surveyor; Wilkes T. Leonard, Ord.; J. Cicero Bell, Treasurer.

GHM 154-3 Georgia Historical Commission 1955



 

 

154-3