Historic Markers Across Georgia



Cleveland



Marker ID: GHM 154-4
Location: At the old court house in Cleveland GA, on US 129 and the intersection with GA 115.
County: White
Coordinates: N 34° 35.813    W 083° 45.794
  34.59688    -83.763225
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1H7
Cleveland Marker  



Text:

When White County was formed in 1857, Mt. Yonah was selected as the County-seat. The majority of its residents wished to rename it Sheltonville for William H. Shelton, who sponsored the formation of the new county. Shelton asked that it be named Cleveland for his good friend and mentor, Benjamin Cleveland, who served 6 terms as representative, 8 terms as senator from Habersham County and was Brigadier-General from 1820 to 1826. Built of hand-made brick by slave labor, the White County Courthouse is modelled [sic] after Independence Hall in Philadelphia.

GHM 154-4 Georgia Historical Commission 1955



 

 

154-4