Historic Markers Across Georgia



Early Trading Post



Marker ID: GHM 154-6
Location: Ga 17 about 1 mile east of Ga 75
County: White
Coordinates: N 34° 40.876    W 083° 41.95
  34.681274    -83.699171
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM32F
Early Trading Post Marker  



Text:

At this point, just north of the safest ford in the Chattahoochee River, the first white settlers in this area built their campfires in 1822. A trading post was soon established on the site and Indians traded gold nuggets and gold-dust to the settlers for merchandise. The first Nacoochee post office was established at the trading post with Charles Williams, son of one of the first settlers. Serving as Postmaster for more than 50 years. To this same site in 1838 soldiers gathered the Indians from surrounding valleys and highlands to begin their `Trail of Tears` to the West.

GHM 154-6 Georgia Historical Commission 1955



 

 

154-6