Historic Markers Across Georgia



White Methodist Church



Marker ID: GHM 154-8
Location: at the church on Ga 17 just east of Ga 75
County: White
Coordinates: N 34° 40.876    W 083° 41.299
  34.681262    -83.688321
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM32J
White Methodist Church Marker  



Text:

A Methodist Church has stood on this site since the early 1820`s when one was built by the first white settlers in Nacoochee Valley. Six acres of land to be used for the church and cemetery were deeded to the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1836 by Major Edward Williams at the death of his wife. Maj. Williams came to the Valley in 1822, purchased a large tract of land, built the home known as `Starlight` and lived there until his death in 1856. The first permanent building, with its gallery for slaves to worship with their masters, was painted white. Since that day the church has been known as the `White Church.`

GHM 154-8 Georgia Historical Commission 1956



 

 

154-8