Historic Markers Across Georgia



Mossy Creek and Rock Springs Campgrounds



Marker ID: GHS 154-2
Location: Ga 254, 1.5 miles north of US 129, Cleveland, GA
County: White
Coordinates: N 34° 30.901    W 083° 44.405
  34.51501666    -83.74008333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM761A
Mossy Creek and Rock Springs Campgrounds  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Mossy Creek Campground was established in 1833 and has continued as a site of yearly religious revival meetings since that time. Rock Springs Campground was established in 1887 and is one of the few remaining camp-meeting sites organized by black congregations in Georgia. Similar sites developed throughout the region during and after the Second Great Awakening of the early nineteenth century. In addition to religious teaching, camp meetings provided social opportunities for isolated rural communities. Brush arbors, or open-air shelters, like the ones at Mossy Creek and Rock Springs, are typical of southern camp-meeting sites.

2008.6 Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, Mossy Creek Tentholders, Rock Springs Campground Association, and White County Historical Society 154-2



Cabins at these camp meeting grounds have long been referred to as "tents."
Mossy Creek and Rock Springs Campgrounds
Photo by David Seibert


Notes:

Dedicated May 04, 2008

 

154-HS2