Historic Markers Across Georgia



Battle of Dug Gap



Marker ID: GHM 155-10
Location: at Mill Creek Road at Babb's Rd near the Mill Creek Cemetery
County: Whitfield
Coordinates: N 34° 44.196    W 085° 2.478
  34.73659265    -85.04129789
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM621E
Battle of Dug Gap Marker  



Text:

May 8, 1864. Maj. Gen. J.W. Geary, with Buschbeck´s & Candy´s brigades of the 2d div., 20th A.C., moving from near Gordon´s Springs, reached this, the Babb Settlement, at 3 p.m.

Planting McGill´s Penna. Battery (3 inch Rodman guns) near Joel Babb´s house, the Confederate position at Dug Gap in rocky Face Ridge was shelled. This was followed by a concerted assault up the steep scarp by Buschbeck´s brigade on the right, Candy´s on the left.

Repeated attempts by the Federals to seize the gap ended in failure, but under cover of this engagement, McPherson´s troops occupied Snake Creek Gap, 6 mi. S.W.

GHM 155-10 Georgia Historical Commission 1954



 
View east (towards Dalton) from Dug Gap.
Battle of Dug Gap

Notes:

A battle was fought at Dug Gap May 8th, 1864 between Confederate and Federal Forces. Attacking Federal Forces suffered more than three hundred casualties in this battle fought over extremely rugged terrain. Two Congressional Medals of Honor were won here by members of the 154th New York regiment. Well preserved infantry breastworks of rock and earth exist here and battlefield burials also. A few acres of this site at the crest of the ridge are now owned by the Whitfield-Murray Historical Society, there are more than fifty acres owned by others that need to be preserved and managed. The Dug Gap battlefield can be accessed by taking Walnut Avenue west across I-75 at which point it becomes Dug Gap Battlefield Park Road and proceeds to the battlefield area which is located at the crest of the ridge.

Defending Dug Gap: Armstrong's Division 1st, 2nd, 9th Kentucky Cav. (Grigsby's Kentuckians)

Attacking dug gap: the Federal Infantry - Hooker's corps, two brigades commanded by General John W. Geary.

Dug Gap is located near Dalton, Georgia - an area of North Georgia rich in history. Dalton is part of the Blue & Gray Trail.

Source: Georgia Civil War Commission

 

155-10