Historic Markers Across Georgia



Dug Gap



Marker ID: GHM 155-11
Location: entrance to the Dug Gap Battle Park on Dug Gap Battle Road
County: Whitfield
Coordinates: N 34° 44.555    W 085° 00.905
  34.74258333    -85.01508333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4BND
Dug Gap Marker  



Text:

An excavation of the summit of Rocky face Ridge on the direct rout between Dalton and Lafayette. This gap was guarded by Confederate forces when Dalton was occupied after the retreat from Missionary Ridge in November 1863.

Federal forces made two efforts to seize the gap; February 25 and May 8, 1864. The latter was made by Buschbeck´s and Candy´s brigades of Geary´s (2d) division, 20th A.C. These troops scaled the west scarp of the ridge, but failed to dislodge the defenders: 1st and 2d Arkansas regiments under Col. J. A. Williamson and Grigsby´s brigade of Wheeler´s cav. Supported by Cleburn;s division of Hardee´s Corp.

GHM 155-11 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMSSION 1986



 

 

155-11