Historic Markers Across Georgia



Hamilton House



Marker ID: GHM 155-17
Location: Chattanooga Avenue and Matilda Street, Dalton, GA
County: Whitfield
Coordinates: N 34° 46.872    W 084° 58.337
  34.78120372    -84.97228242
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM67Y
Hamilton House Marker  



Text:

This brick house & the stone spring house in the low ground back of it, were built by John Hamilton about 1840.

During the Winter, 1863-1864, when the Confederate Army of Tennessee, under Gen. Joseph E. Johnston, occupied Dalton, Brig. Gen. J.H. Lewis of the celebrated ´orphan Brigade´, of Kentucky, had h´dq´rs here -- his tent near the spring house.

The Army of Tennessee, under Gen. Bragg, withdrew from Missionary Ridge, Nov. 25, 1863, to Dalton, where Gen. Johnston succeeded to the command, Dec. 27. Outnumbered & outflanked, by Sherman´s forces, Johnston evacuated Dalton May 12-13, 1864.

GHM 155-17 Georgia Historic Marker 1954



 

 

155-17