Historic Markers Across Georgia



North Line Dalton's Defenses



Marker ID: GHM 155-19
Location: Haig Mill Rd. 100 yds S of Poplar Church Rd.
County: Whitfield
Coordinates: N 34° 50.077    W 084° 59.401
  34.83461666    -84.99001666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM620P
North Line Dalton's Defenses Marker  



Text:

April, 1864. Pending Federal moves on Dalton a strong line of defense works was built across Crow Valley. Beginning at the Signal Station on Rocky Face, W. it crossed the road at this point and ascended the wooded hill E., where artillery was placed. Beyond a creek to a high ridge it turned S. across Ault´s Gap. N. of ridge and a prolongation of it, is Potato Hill (Picket Top), which was also fortified.

May 8-13. Stevenson´s div. (Hood´s A.c.) occupied the line W, On the E. were portions of Hindman´s div., under temporary command of Hardee - his h´dq´rs at Ault´s Mill.

GHM 155-19 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 

 

155-19