Historic Markers Across Georgia



Harris' Gap



Marker ID: GHM 155-26
Location: New Hope Rd just east of Crow Valley Rd
County: Whitfield
Coordinates: N 34° 52.062    W 085° 0.075
  34.86769375    -85.00124483
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4BN1
Harris' Gap Marker  



Text:

In 1864 the direct road from Tunnel Hill to Varnell´s, passed through Harris Gap at this point, which is just N. of where rocky Face drops off into continuous foot-hills.

Federal operations in Crow Valley by the 23d A.C., began with its march S. from the Dr. Lee house to this road. Schofield had h´dq´rs at the Harris house (which stood opp. this marker until 1952), May 8-10, 1864.

May 9, Judah´s 2d & Cox´s 3d divs. moved S. from this road, astride the low ridge (E. of Rocky Face, toward Stevenson´s sector of the Dalton defenses. Hovey´s 1st div. in reserve, guarded the gap & supported Judah & Cox.

GHM 155-26 Georgia Historical Commission 1954



 

 

155-26