Historic Markers Across Georgia



Battle of Resaca



Marker ID: GHM 155-3
Location: on Chitwood Road ¾ mile east of Dixie Road (U.S. 41), Resaca, GA.
County: Whitfield
Coordinates: N 34° 36.876    W 084° 56.39
  34.6146    -84.93983333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4BKN
Battle of Resaca Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

May 14: Stewart's Div., Hood's Corps (CS) moved from intrenchments near the John Green house and attacked left of Federals then extending toward the State R. R.

This attack fell upon the left of Stanley 's (1st) div., 4th A. C. and 5th lnd. Battery (US) (on ridge NW). The timely arrival of Williams' (1st) div., 20th A.C. (US) checked Stewart's (CS) advance and stabilized the left flank of the Federal forces.

May 15: Stewart (CS) repeated attack of 14th- the assault falling on Williams' div. (US) astride road here- and with like result.

GHM 155-3 Georgia Department of Natural Resources. 1986



 
Notes:

This was the first major battle of the Atlanta Campaign and is described by several historical markers scattered throughout the community. Aligned upon the hills north and west of Resaca, Confederates withstood repeated assaults between May 13-15, 1864. On May 16, Gen. Johnston withdrew from Resaca on a pontoon bridge. Two miles north of Resaca, east of US Hwy 41, is a cemetery, established after the war for the Confederate soldiers who fell at the Battle of Resaca. This battle is reenacted annually the third weekend of May.


 

155-3