Historic Markers Across Georgia



Historic Red Clay



Marker ID: GHM 155-34A
Location: Ga 71 at the road to Red Clay
County: Whitfield
Coordinates: N 34° 58.882    W 084° 55.91
  34.98137311    -84.93183679
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: None
Historic Red Clay Marker  



Text:

Red Clay, one mile W, was once an important Council Ground for the Cherokee Indians who called it "Red Earth Place." During the War Between the States, on May 2, 1864, the 2nd Brigade, First Cavalry Division, Dept. of the Cumberland, in. S. Army, after a hard fight drove the Confederates from this town. It then became an important depot of supplies for Federal forces. A heavy force of Federals guarded this town to prevent Confederate raids from capturing valuable stores here. The Federal Army of Ohio, moving South toward Dalton passed through this town.

GHM 155-34A Georgia Historical Commission 1956



 

 

155-34A