Historic Markers Across Georgia



Battle of Resaca



Marker ID: GHM 155-4
Location: Private side road S from E. Nance Spring Rd, .4 mi E of US41
County: Whitfield
Coordinates: N 34° 37.235    W 084° 56.605
  34.62058122    -84.94341069
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4BKN
Battle of Resaca Marker  



Text:

May 15,1864. The 23d A.C [USA] was shifted from Camp Cr., 1.5 mi. W., to this vicinity where it extended the left of Sherman´s line [USA] to the Conasauga River.

Hovey´s (1st) div. supported Williams´ (1st) div., 20th A.C. [USA], between the Scales house and R.R., during Stewart´s [CSA] 2d attack.

May 16. Johnston´s forces [CSA] evacuated his position and withdrew S. followed by 4th and 14th A.C. [USA]. The 20th, and 1st and 2d divs., 32dA.C. [USA] moved SE to the Coosawatte River; Cox´s (3d) div. [USA] moved N. to Hogan´s Ford, Canasauga R. near Tilton and via Holley to Field´s Mill, Coosawatte R.

GHM 155-4 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1986



 
Notes:

This was the first major battle of the Atlanta Campaign and is described by several historical markers scattered throughout the community. Aligned upon the hills north and west of Resaca, Confederates withstood repeated assaults between May 13-15, 1864. On May 16, Gen. Johnston withdrew from Resaca on a pontoon bridge. Two miles north of Resaca, east of US Hwy 41, is a cemetery, established after the war for the Confederate soldiers who fell at the Battle of Resaca. This battle is reenacted annually the third weekend of May.


 

155-4