Historic Markers Across Georgia



R.R. Wood Station



Marker ID: GHM 155-5
Location: Nance Spring Rd and Gracie Rd, east of US 41
County: Whitfield
Coordinates: N 34° 37.353    W 084° 56.403
  34.62255104    -84.94004672
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4BM2
R.R. Wood Station Marker  



Text:

Approx site of John H. Green´s wood station during the 1860´s - which was a fuel supply depot of the state R.R.

April 12, 1862: Andrews´ Raiders. [USA] with the locomotive GENERAL, paused to wood up while closely pursued by the locomotive TEXAS [CSA]

May 9, 1864: 18 men of the 9th Illinois mounted infantry, [USA] burned station & cut telegraph wires - an episode of McPherson´s [USA] first move on Resaca. The severed wires were spliced by two intrepid women of the vicinity: Mrs.Bachman and her sister, Miss Carrie Sims.

GHM 155-5 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1953



 

 

155-5