Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Chase and a Battle



Marker ID: GHM 
Location: 805 Tilton Road, at Tilton Church Road, just west of Tilton.
County: Whitfield
Coordinates: N 34° 39.9    W 084° 56.298
  34.665    -84.9383
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7FF
The Chase and a Battle Marker  



Text:

250 yards

To the left over the railroad crossing stood a water tower where the famed "General", of "The Great Locomotive Chase" stopped for water while being chased by the "Texas", April 12, 1862. A brief stop was made at nearby Green´s Wood Yard for fuel.

On October 13, 1864, solders of French´s division, Steward´s Corps Confederate Army of Tennessee launched an attack against 300 men of the 17th Iowa, Volunteer Infantry, under command of Lt. Col. S. M. Archer, U.S. Army. The 17th Iowa was garrisoned here to protect the Western & Atlantic railroad bridges and tracks, many of the men took refuge in a blockhouse, located about 250 yards from here. Selden´s Alabama Battery battered the blockhouse with heavy artillery for hours before the garrison surrounded.

Georgia Historic Marker 2004



 

 

155-A3