Historic Markers Across Georgia



New Hope Primitive Baptist Church



Marker ID: GHM 156-4
Location: US 129 about one mile south of Abbeville, GA
County: Wilcox
Coordinates: N 31° 58.013    W 083° 17.43
  31.96688066    -83.29050423
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMAA7P
New Hope Primitive Baptist Church Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

New Hope Primitive Baptist Church was constituted in July 1830. The Presbytery officiating were Wilson Conner, David Wood and Jordan Baker. Minutes of the church for the first 12 years were lost and there is no record of charter members but the church roll of March 5, 1842 lists 53, many of them pioneers of this section. It was in New Hope Baptist that the division in the Primitive Baptist denomination occurred when some withdrew and formed a Missionary Baptist Church. The Rev. Richard M. Tucker was the first recorded pastor in 1842. George R. Reid as clerk in 1842.

GHM 156-4 Georgia Historical Commission 1958




New Hope Primitive Baptist Church
Photo by Ken Moser



 

156-4